Site Map

Site Search

News

FIND OUT MORE

Black Gate Museum

The Black Gate Museum<p>
The Black Gate Museum


The Black Gate was converted into a house in 1618 by the addition of a roof and windows. Since then it has been refurbished and restored on a number of occasions. In 1883 the building was leased by the Society of Antiquaries for the purpose of housing their museum. Following the relocation of the Museum to King’s College Newcastle in 1960, the building was used to house the Society’s library. Although the library’s manuscript collection has since been moved to Gosforth Records Office the building still holds an extensive collection of printed material which FARNE has been lucky enough to be able to draw on.

Contact details:

The Black Gate
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 1RQ

Tel: 0191 261 5390
Email: admin@newcastle-antiquaries.org.uk
Website: www.newcastle-antiquaries.org.uk







USEFUL LINKS








RELATED INFORMATION



External sites
Society of Antiquaries
Oldest provincial antiquarian society in England





FEATURED STORIES



Sunderland Local Studies Library
Sunderland Local Studies Library
Our partner on Wearside ...

Durham University
Durham University
Archives and Special Collections

Tyne and Wear Archives
Tyne and Wear Archives
Records galore! ...

South Shields Library
South Shields Library
A wealth of local studies info ...

Newcastle City Library
Newcastle City Library
Home to Local Studies ...

Northumberland Record Office
Northumberland Record Office
Ancient music manuscripts ...

Chantry Bagpipe Museum
Chantry Bagpipe Museum
Pipes from around the world ...

Hexham Border Library
Hexham Border Library
Music of the Borders ...

Black Gate Museum
Black Gate Museum
Dating back to 1250 ...

Beamish Museum ...
Beamish Museum ...
The famous open air Museum ...


libraries@gateshead.gov.uk

Gateshead Central Library
Prince Consort Road, Gateshead, NE8 4LN
Tel: 0191 433 8430